pondělí 4. ledna 2010

... backing up on Amazon S3

During Christmas I successfully migrated my backup procedure to use Amazon AWS. Influenced by Linux/Unix backup solution duplicity I was looking for similar solution for Windows. There is a Windows clone called Duplicati. Duplicati is implemented using C#/.NET runtime. Duplicati is a very fresh product (v1.0) but very promissing. With minor drawbacks Duplicati works as expected. I'm looking forward to future improved releases. And of course it's opensource (I have sources on my disk). A breif summary follows:

  • wide range of back-ends supported (S3 is my choice)

  • incremental delta based backup - no merged view of backups

  • minor problems when connecting to S3 - default setup has to be used - custom settings fail



Using S3 for backups seems to me as a good solution. Initial backup (almost 7GB after packing) takes a lot of time to complete. In fact - the completion required several runs. Incremental backup is pretty fast.

Now I have my files encrypted and stored on Amazon AWS and it costs $0.17*7GB = $1.19 per month.